View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Shellback

Default Shellback’s Project

Well, I’ve started my project. I’m really taking it slow since I’ve never tackled a job like this before. I have access to a storage facility where the project is taking place. I have a bunch of tools at the site including pneumatic tools and an engine lift. I also have J!m’s manual and a Bentley.
The donor:
1997 M3/4/5, 70K miles, rear ended
Alpine White, Dove grey, completely stock.
The beneficiary:
1998 318ti M Sport, 5 speed, artic silver, black leather/blue grayish cloth.

This project is going to take some time since I have the donor vehicle and I need to remove the engine/transmission first. Also, I want to do some PM on the engine once it is removed, including washing the engine, making it pretty.

So far, I’ve removed the following from the donor:
- exhaust, heat shield
- Drive shaft
- Shifter link has been removed from transmission. That famous clip was doing its usual
- Front bumper, grille (my plan is to remove engine and transmission together out the front)
- Radiator, a/c condenser, air box, air flow meter and boot. Throttle body is still attached to engine.

Now I’m a bit confused. I’m not sure how to remove the donor engine:
- Do I need to remove the intake?
- If I do, I’m not sure how to deal with the injectors, fuel rail, etc. It looks complicated for my level of experience. But again, I have a ton of time to get it done.

If someone could point me towards a link or set of instructions on how to remove an E36 engine, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
More to follow....
-SB
Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote