View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1602 View Post
BRADESTAR, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you! I think I am going to pass on the Z3 and keep looking for a donor e36.
Smart idea, I am almost 100% sure the 2000 z3 would have a m52tu - basically it is closer to a m54 than a regular e36 m52 (Dual Vanos?). Like Motts mentioned, it will be an aluminium block, which depending on purpose can be potentially desirable - it weighs less, but has its own issues as mentioned.

If you still have access to the z3, you can try to see if the diff is a LSD (look up the last 7VIN letters/numbers on a VIN decoder - it will tell you if it came with a LSD) to pick up (it will most likely be a Torsion LSD, and be 3.07 - if 5spd - double check though that is off the top of my head), but even more so try to get the steering rack, especially if it is cheap. The z3 ratio is a lot better than the E36.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote