View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Mopho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219 View Post
Thanks for all the reply's. The car has 137K on it and has been dealer maintained up until about 4 years ago and only about 10k miles ago. I have only had it for 2 months.

In the maintenance records that came with the car it has a cooling system service and belts/hoses replaced about 45k ago from a dealer. Do you think they did the plastic part? all the hoses are in good shape and are flexible. There wasn't much detail on the invoice. This was along with a Stage II inspection.

I was avoiding doing the plastic part due to not feeling confident removing the intake and all this go around. If you can get at it OK from the alternator oil filter housing side I might go that route and do the housing gaskets and o-rings.

I wasn't going to do radiator mostly as due to cost.
At 133k, and 45K on the belts and hoses, I would borrow the money if that is a deciding factor in changing them and the RADIATOR. I have never seen a plastic radiator go much more than that without the possibility of problems down the line. Unless you have a receipt for a new radiator, replace it to save on grief later.
The problem with these engines, is the aluminum alloy head is so large with the duel cams etc. that when they over heat they almost always warp.
I only drove across a 5 mile bridge when mine blew the head gasket SEAL to the block (the head gasket looked O.K. when we took it apart) because I had no place to pull over. Not much room for error and pulling over to put coolant in it after just a few miles, didn't work on mine, probably due to the air captured in the block- I didn't get enough coolant back in it to drive the rest of the way home because I didn't see the lower hose was leaking (mine had around 140K on it...) until I got home and it was too late....