View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #19
maurolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
i have some input ... the e30 diff is a little too long, found we had to grind out semi-circular sections of the rear subframe that is part of the unibody/trunk to get it to fit properly (the part in constant's write up about the top diff cover bolt "touching" was an understatement in my situation, the subframe was RESTING on the top diff cover bolt and the diff cover bushing was still about 1/2 -3/4" below where it needed to be to bolt up). we used a grinder with grinding wheel to remove just as much metal as we needed to get it to fit. i don't know how anyone did it without doing that unless tolerances are fairly different between cars (constant's is a 4/1996 and mine is like 5/1996 so i find it hard to believe they are that much different). i used the e30 3.73 LSD and m coupe finned diff cover just like him. hated to grind, but i found it a necessity to get it to fit. we also found one of the other diff cover bolts prevented the diff cover bushing from getting where it needed to go and we had to gring off a small section of the diff cover bushing mount (most rearward one) that is also part of the unibody. we ground over to the ribbed section but not into it to retain strength, probably had to grind up 1.5 - 2".

so it sounds like we have the following that make this swap potentially not just "bolt up":

1) clearance of diff cover bolts with rear subframe and diff cover bushing mount attached to subframe/unibody, may require grinding
2) abs sensors may require shims (remove before installing half shafts back in hub to check)

also, things i'm looking for still:

1) proper torque settings for diff cover bolts (we torqued them to 35 since the cover is aluminum and i don't want to damage it but this was just a somewhat educated guess)
2) torque for new diff drain/fill plugs that use an imbedded o-ring (rather than the aluminum crush washer)

anyone who can send me those ASAP i would greatly appreciate!

btw, who is charging for instructions dredder? i agree, provide help/instructions where you can and you get so much in return here that it's justified, imho.

Damn! That wa good Cali... It is JUST AS IT IS IN REALITY.. NO BS. EVERYONE COPY AND PASTE THIS INFO ON YOUR OWNER:S MANUAL!
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote