View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
dhong089

Vehicles
Default NO crank problem.. AGAIN! :(

Hey guys. I had a huge problem with my car not starting at all. Turning the ignition key, you would not hear anything whatsoever. The engine will not crank at all.

You can check my previous thread here: http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33364

So I called the mechanic and push-started my car to drive over. I left it at his shop so he could diagnose what the issue could be.

The next day, the mechanic calls and says that he replaced the battery. In doing so, he said the starter cranked right up without any problems.

I went over the next day, paid for the $120 battery, and the car really did start right up. Apparently he said that it was just the battery (no issue with the starter/solenoid or anything fancy; WHEW!)

For a week and a half, the car worked great. It started up every time.

Well, I got in the car this morning and the same problem occurred. I turned the ignition key and heard NO cranking whatsoever. Nothing, zilch, none! I was so frustrated… This is a brand new $120 dollar battery… so obviously the battery was not the problem. What the heck could be the problem then?!?! : (

I’ll just add this bit of information: perhaps it can point me towards the problem. Yesterday, my car was parked (parking brake up while in 1st gear). I went in the car, pushed the clutch in, and turned the ignition. What I heard was an electric motor whirring sound. It pretty much sounded like the starter motor was turning, however it wasn’t engaging with the engine at all. I quickly released the ignition and sat there confused… I was puzzled (and scared lol!) After sitting there for like 10 seconds, I put the car in neutral, turned the ignition, and the car started right up. What the heck is up with that?
dhong089 is offline   Reply With Quote