View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #73
ZEK

Vehicles

Progress has been much slower than I’d like. Zender E30 been taking up time and life work been eating at free time but it’s still a work in progress. I’m hoping to be fully done by August first. I’ll be having a shop do some of the stuff I don’t have the tools for (stupid rear wheel bearings) and have them do the rear brake lines. There are some hard lines I’d like replaced and I’m not that good with the bending tool for brake lines yet. Don’t wanna do it on the daily.

It also ate some power steering stuff causing atrocious steering. It will feel at times there is power steering midway through a turn. So the car has been sitting unfortunately for most of spring. Since I plan to bring this back to a daily I have purchased a new steering rack from RackDoctor, AAE reman pump, newer lines already on the car, new reservoir, tie rods, steering shaft and u joint. The e34 solid joint maybe failing for some reason. It only has about 20K on it but I’ll inspect when it all comes down. Steering has no feeling on center now. It’s going to BlueBimma to get a look at on the rack once done.

I still have small things to do on the motor, the 2 tensioners need installed and the new OE cam sensor. After that all the sensors on the motor are new and any timing piece. Should be good for another 100K. I’ll be chasing oil every 3 to keep as much life in the bearings as possible. Oils cheap.

Once steering is fixed I have clean stock Z3M coupe springs and the pads to jack the rear up. It’s way to firm and squirmy with the HRs on it. I will also put in the new GKN 6 cyl halfshafts. Wheel bearings done around same time. if anyone is curious the new GKN axles don’t have the hump in the center. I would imagine advances in metals/casting (someone correct me if it would be a cast method, forged?) no longer need the hump.

For the amateur body work your local paint shop can whip up some base coat. For me it was $30 for the pint of basic PPG and $6ea to place into aerosol cans. Makes a quick paint of bumper trim extremely easy. Just use PPE!

I’m hoping I can update this post with this thing done. It’s had many set backs but I’m hopeful this summer can prove productive. Cheers all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ZEK is offline   Reply With Quote