View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
bovilexic

Default Suspension advice needed - quickly!

I've got a '98 ti (sport, so MTech stuff on it in general), whose springs were replaced by a previous owner. Said springs (unknown brand) are quite, quite short -- the can't-get-over-speed-bumps-hardly-at-all kind of short. Shocks appear to be Bilstein Sports...Sway bars appear stock...

In any case, just heard from my mechanic that the cause of some noise from the left front is due to the spring being broken (!) So, I guess I'm in for at least a set of 4 new springs, and perhaps more...

Can't be without my car for long (else the rental kills me), so I need to make a decision quickly :-( So, I'm soliciting advice. Basic parameters: I don't autocross/race/trackday, but definitely want something stiffer than stock, good street handling, a little lower than stock (but not so extreme as I have now): maybe 1" to 1-1/4" max at front, maybe 3/4" in back?

What springs should I consider, if I just go that way? H&R, Eibach, other? Just crack the budget and get Bilstein PSS9 (costs about what the car's worth?)

I know suspensions are a topic of strong opinions, and highly subjective, but I'd appreciate y'all's thoughts, anyway :-) -- Philip

Last edited by bovilexic; 10-07-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: paragraphs ftw!
bovilexic is offline   Reply With Quote