View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
bovilexic

Default More questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberWagen View Post
I have H&R sports and Bilstein sports. You wouldn't believe the amount of good comments I get on how it rides, e.g. "This thing rides good for a 15 year old car". There's not too much drop in the rear so your tires don't get worn out from excessive camber, if you want bigger wheels you can still fit 17s under the car, it's a firm ride but very forgiving over speed bumps and dodgy bridges, and looks 1000x better than the stock height. I would say, as long as your not a drift bro or stance bro, H&R sport/Bilstein sport is the best package for this car. Along with Goodyear eagle GTs. Grips like a cat on carpet. BTW, if you do get them, DO NOT remove the little Nylon pieces off of the rear springs. I thought it was just for packaging, turns out it's not. I get a "thunk" from coil rub when the car flexes going up a steep driveway. Called H&R and they said they couldn't just send me the pieces.
Hi - thanks for the response. Been slammed the past few days... I ended up ordering a set of these. My shop just called and told me that the H&R fronts are almost 1/2" lower than my previous springs (but the backs are a little taller). Now I'm kinda panicking...my 'ti was so low that I have trouble going over even fairly mild speed bumps at a crawling speed...

The front will be even lower, but the back will be a little higher (more rake than before is OK with me, style-wise). So maybe the clearance mid-car (where the speed bumps hit) won't be any worse, or perhaps a bit better? Just more worried, I guess, that the front bumper cover's going to get whacked even more often...

Talked to a nice gent at Eibach (in case they might have some info), but they have no current listing for our cars (perhaps in the past, but not now). The theory would be that perhaps Eibachs don't have so much drop (?) Can't really find a 318ti-specific offering on the 'net anywhere...

So, either I risk it and let the shop install the H&Rs, or just bail and do some coilovers. Bimmerworld has some Ground Control Koni/Eibach coil overs at $1550, Bilstein PSS9s are $1850, Bilstein PSS are $1450, and turner motorsport has some H&R-based coilovers for $1174. Lots more than the $250 I got the H&Rs for...sigh... Sorry for the whining...here are the questions for you (being a current owner of the H&Rs): how low, really, is the front? Would you happen to have a wheel-center-to-wheel-arch measurement handy? Do you find speed bumps injurious to your car's underbody?

Thanks!

-- Philip
bovilexic is offline   Reply With Quote