View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmiko View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, hope you'll accept me to your team, and help me navigate through discussions! Here's the deal: I have an E36/5 Compact with an M42B18, now the engine (along with the front suspension) was a total bust (head gasket blown, poor piston rings, dire need to change seals, differential, clutch etc.) so I decided to perform a major repair and also add some modifications if possible. So aside from the typical intake/exhaust mods, I have read a few topics about the crank change (m47) and a one-mass flywheel from an M20 installation. I live in Lithuania/Europe, so it's not to hard to find the M47 crank, but my main question is: what pistons (or a combination of piston heads and rods from different engines) should i use, to increase the displacement to at least 2.0l? And will the M20 flywheel just bolt-on fit with the standard M42 clutch? Please don't offer me to "simply swap an m50" because I really like the M42 (also the A/C that came with it ) and I'm just wondering whether it could be improved. Also, it's almost impossible to find the S50/S52 pistons here so you can also scratch those off the advice list . Thank you for your time, I hope I posted in the right topic section.
The flywheel will bolt directly on the M47 crank. The crank needs a lot of work done to it so it will fit. The front snout needs to be cut off and then it needs a new keyway installed for beginners. It is not a easy job. Obviously you need shorter rods or better pistons with the wrist pin located higher on the piston for a better rod angle on the crank. Long rods good, short rods bad due to side loading of the piston on the cylinder wall. I do not have specs for rods or pistons but I think they have to be after-market. I might be wrong on the after-market stuff. I run a 2.1L M42 block with M44 head and M47 crank. It is not something you just throw together as I understand it.

Best, John Smith
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote