View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
blndweasel

Why is it that when you ask someone why they want a turbo, the first response is always "because it gives that cool blowoff sound I want"

I had a friend who was "piecing together" a turbo kit for something like 3 years, he insisted he was going to turbocharge his 2000 Saturn SL2. The questions that always came up were "where you gonna get an intake manifold" and "how you gonna get that thing smogged" and the answer was always "I'll deal with that hurdle when I get to it."

What it comes down to is this: if you don't have a clear understanding of the tecnical limitations of a project, and don't have a solid game plan in terms of parts you'll be using (as well as sourcing for those parts), anticipated boost, anticipated compression ratio, coolant line routing, piping, etc, etc... you're setting yourself up FTL.

btw... after three years my friend was selling off his various parts on ebay after deciding he "didn't have enough time" to finish the project. that, and he had his Saturn voluntarily reposessed because he couldn't make the payments on his loan anymore.

not trying to discourage you, dude... just do a lot more research, especially regarding the Ti, because there isn't much free space under the hood, and as far as I know, there aren't too many folks who have done it on a budget.

Of course I'm also biased against turbos, but that's because I grew up wrenching on good ol' american muscle, with enough torque off the line to leave any kid with a silly blow off valve choking on my exhaust.

$.02

the blonde weasel
blndweasel is offline   Reply With Quote