View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 01:37 AM   #1
Bzuefishx

Default Yet another brake thread...

OK, I have decided a brake kit is out of the question - lots of other things I'd like to buy for $2,000. Steven has convinced me that big brakes are not a necessity, but I do have some issues:

First - the car pulls to the driver side during high speed braking. My mechanic is a highly experienced BMW guy and says everything looks good, so what gives?

Second - it's hot down here and I do experience brake fade while daily driving (though I do sometimes drive like a jack-ass, it would be nice to have more confidence in my ability to stop).

Third - I'm not all that impressed with the braking distance, especially for such a small car. The brake feel also sucks - I know feel is an intangible, but the rest of the car feels so sporty that I really notice the brakes (have driven several E36 M3's and thought the brakes were much, much better).

So far I've heard the following as lower cost alternatives to a brake kit:

New brake lines - can anyone reccomend a brand and/or type and tell me why?

New pads - can anyone reccomend a decent street/autocross pad that's not too dusty?

Larger brake cylinder - does more fluid mean more pressure and/or smoother pressure? More fluid dissipate heat better?

High performance brake fluid - I've heard the high quality fluids do not heat up as fast - true?

Tune up kit for calipers - to replace worn parts. I assume this means gaskets and/or springs?

Better rotors - My ti's a '98, but has the solid rotors. They are in decent shape, but have almost 50K on them. When they need to be replaced, what should I install and why?

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm a driving enthusiast, not a mechanic. I have a great shop to take the car to, and they usually have good ideas, but wanted to find out what you guys think.

Lastly - I assume I have three options: improve the current braking system, upgrade the system with a brake kit designed to fit my car, or upgrade to M3 brakes, which I understand entails some serious modification to the suspension. Is that it? Are there any other options?

Thanks!
Bzuefishx is offline   Reply With Quote