View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #16
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEK View Post
It is easy/quick to use pc part picker for choosing parts so good for that. With that build however if he does not plan on OC (unlikely as this will be his first build) then there is no reason to get an aftermarket cooler, nor one as expensive as the Noctua. The stock heatsink will suffice. With that and the deals now it may be possible to move up to an i7. Also if no OC then no reason to get a Z87 board, since the 9 series is out now too. The H97 will be fine. Ram is fine and the SSD as well. It's not a monster machine so top tier SSD won't matter. I'd suggest throwing in a mechanical drive for other storage. Case is a good budget case. As for the GPU it really depends. There are some good deals now on the 290/X right now so you can jump on those. There is also the GTX970 from Nvidia. I'll look into the game to see if it pairs better with different drivers. CD is fine if needed, but I just use a flash drive to install OS. With that I would HIGHLY suggest 8.1 as your OS. I've used both 7 and 8/8.1 and prefer 8.1. If you miss start menu then get Start8. But the under the hood fixes and performance are worth it. Plus it will be supported longer. Seasonic is still a solid manufacturer but with the current deals any solid 500W psu will be fine. Get a modular one though, much easier and shouldn't cost more. I'll throw a system together tomorrow for what I would but right now. Also what resolution are you gaming at?

My preference stays with Win7 64bit Pro, Windows 8 isn't worth it for me, waiting for 10 to come out. Also as nice as SSD's are, they are really not necessary, a good 7200rpm disk with 32mb+cache will be fine. Agree with the OC part too, honestly the mobo can be kept simple since he really won't need any special features. Same with 500w PSU, that's going to be good enough for anything he will do.

1996 328ti - I will put together a build tomorrow or this weekend if I get a chance and send it to you - and post up here so others can give input and improves - a few minds work better then one. You also choose the right time to buy with discounts right and left since black Friday coming up!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote