View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
paul somlo

I replaced my rear subframe bushings this past summer. As I wanted to replace my rear trailing arm bushings as well, I lowered the entire subframe/differential from the vehicle. This necessitates disconnecting the rear brake lines and parking brake cables, which was OK since I needed to flush my brake fluid anyway.

I think you could do this without dropping the subframe. I'll include a picture of the tool I used for removal, which consists of a two jaw puller, a timing chain puller, a few pieces that I turned on the lathe, and some common hardware. The tool that I used for installation is rather crude - some threaded rod, wooden washers, and a piece from a Greenlee punch. If you do this on the vehicle, you'll have to deal with the bolt that secures the subframe through the bushing. The problem that I ran into was, the flange bending on the bushing during removal, which others have experienced. I used either a heat gun or propane torch to heat the area around the bushing (can't remember which), and they did finally come out. If I was doing this on a regular basis, I would make a split collar to distribute the force around the bushing flange. I''ve reached my limit on pics, so I'll post again, with a pic of what you'll be up against upon installation.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	P9260668.JPG Views:	239 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	14647   Click image for larger version Name:	P9260667.JPG Views:	243 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	14648   Click image for larger version Name:	P9260666.JPG Views:	252 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	14649  

Click image for larger version Name:	P9110636.JPG Views:	238 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	14650   Click image for larger version Name:	P9260663.JPG Views:	249 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	14651  
paul somlo is offline   Reply With Quote