View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
derekkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur1984 View Post
@derekkg The 328 swap being this simple would make my debate a lot simpler. I thought the 328 and the M3 both used the z4 trans where the 325 and below used the getrag. Are you in CA and if so were you able to BAR your ti? How much did you spend and what did you need (if anything) besides the engine?
They do, but like wolferj said, either transmission bolts to any engine. I had the ZF transmission, but ended up not using it because it has a different output shaft bolt pattern so I would have needed to change that or get a modified driveshaft to mate up with it. By using the stock Getrag transmission, the transmission, driveshaft, and differential all don't have to be changed. The transmission mounts 1 set of holes further back, but those holes are already in the Ti. The driveshaft can be shortened enough on its center splined section so no modifications need to be done to it.

My car is registered in Washington State and I haven't had to get it smogged yet. From my understanding, as long as it passes smog check up here there is nothing else to be done. I don't know about BAR or California registration though.

I got the complete engine, transmission, keys, DME, EWS, Radiator, Gauge cluster, and nearly all of the additional accessories for eleven hundred dollars last year. Fluids was about another hundred dollars. That was all it took to get it running. But I did a few other things like a new clutch, electric fan, etc. At this point there are still a few small things that don't work. ABS and ASC don't work: I think this is because the Engine computer is older than the rest of the car, and the engine never had ASC. Keyless entry doesn't work: I haven't figured that one out yet. It was pretty simple though, basically plug and play.

I do strongly recommend getting J!m's manual, I used it and saved a ton of time and money that would have other wise been wasted on trial and error. Once the M52 went in I never had to pull it back out, everything worked first time. In addition, Jim has been great about answering emails and following up with help for the few problems I did have (keyless entry and ASC)

manual: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ne-swap-manual
Good luck!
derekkg is offline   Reply With Quote