View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
ilokano

Unhappy DME relay plug (socket) with a burned wire

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and hope you could help me with my problem. I just bought a 98 318ti 5 speed but got a problem while driving home, before buying the car I test drove it maybe for about 30 min or more and everything works fine no cell lights and any unusual thing showing up so I took the car. While driving the car about 10 or 15 miles going home I noticed the temp gauges going up to the red line so I pulled over to the service road and not even to a stop the engine died but did not noticed any smoke coming out or water spilled on the engine and not even a smoke comming out on the tail pipe as per my son following me so in short I pulled my car with a dolly until I got home. I tried to start the car but will not run it just turns the engine. The first thing I checked is the fuel pump and is not receiving no power but jumping the fuel pump socket 30 and 87 I hear fuel pump runs so it's not the pump the next thing I did is check the DME relay and check for current on the socket and it shows that it has a current coming out on 30, 87 and 86 by the way it has 5 wires coming out

1) 30 - (red with yellow stripe)
2) 87 - (plain red)
3) 87a - (plain brown-thin wire at middle plug)
4) 85 - (brown with white stripe-thin wire)
5) 86 - (red with white stripe-thin wire)

after playing around with the relays I notice that the 87- brown wire is burnt or something like being shorted so I trace the wire and it was spliced to a couple of brown wire. I'll check tomorrow if the DME has a sign of shortage. Any idea what maybe the fault? Any help will be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	20150717_172622.jpg Views:	992 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	15914   Click image for larger version Name:	20150717_172758.jpg Views:	915 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	15915  

Last edited by ilokano; 07-18-2015 at 07:22 AM.
ilokano is offline   Reply With Quote