View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #120
Alivinglegend

I just swapped a medium case LSD into my ti, I used a 3.25lsd from a 1984 E28 524td. I used an E30 rear cover and reused my stock ti output shafts. They will work, but they do not fit correctly into the medium case diff, if I had realized they would be this bad I would have done the E30 halfshaft swap. The diff has little rings in it that snap into a grove cut into each output shaft, and to get the ti shafts into the medium diff far enough to work you have to push them past the point where they snap in. There is nothing really holding them into place in this position, but once the diff is in the car and the ti axles are bolted up there physically isn't room for the axles to pull out far enough to cause damage. I don't think the axles have a lot of extra travel in them, but it's hard to tell. I do worry that there is the chance of binding, but again I don't have a way to tell, we will just see how long they last.

Getting the medium diff into the car is tricky too, the vent and top couple bolts on the rear cover are very close to a rear crossmember, and if you don't push the back of the diff into position first it will hit and won't fit. With it all bolted up the tabs that grab the rear mount appear to be in constant contact with the rear cover. I am getting more diff noise in the cabin than before, but I made some other changes at the same time so it might not be just the diff. Exhaust and suspension were replaced too. At some point I'll probably drop the diff again and grind those tabs back so that they have more clearance.
Alivinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote