View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #43
john318isau

I decided to finally actually check a camshaft sensor (should have done this first, but seemed pointless with an intermittent fault).

I read on Pelican Parts website to connect 12V and GND, and watch for 12V on the middle pin with a multimeter when something metal passes in front of the sensor.

I just did this with one of my sensors and it did not show any output on the middle pin (0V) when I pass a large spanner in front of it.

So it appears to be dead, unless I am testing it wrong.

I am afraid to test another one of my three camshaft sensors in case I am testing it wrong.

But I suspect I am testing it correctly and another fault is damaging these sensors.

My theory is that whatever short circuit I am measuring between pin 54 of the ECU and GND is not right. Someone kindly did a test for me and did not read a short circuit in the same place, although I'm not sure they tested the same way.

Has anyone ever heard of camshaft sensors being damaged electrically by something external, maybe the ECU?

My next request is if someone has an open spare ECU they can do some electrical tests for me as I measure short-circuit on a couple of the transistors in mine. Would require a multimeter with continuity and/or diode tests.
john318isau is offline   Reply With Quote