View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #44
john318isau

To keep this thread up-to-date, I have been waiting on a second hand ECU to arrive to compare measurements. It arrived today and I did find that there was a short circuit that shouldn't be there.

It looks like someone in the past has attempted to repair the ECU but deliberately or accidentally soldered some parts together that shouldn't have been joined.

I have fixed these up and no longer measure a short circuit on the power run for the cam sensor.

But I am still getting a camshaft sensor error code within a few seconds of starting the car, and it keeps coming up every time I clear it.

However, I have tested my two cam sensors with 12V and checking for a voltage on the middle pin when a metal object passes across the sensor. Neither sensor showed any change so I assume they are both faulty.

They were both second hand so could have been faulty but seems unlikely.

I am guessing that they were damaged by this short circuit, and I now have to bravely purchase a third sensor and plug it in and see what happens, possibly destroying another sensor.

My only concern is that the problem I found with the solder must have been like that for the several years I have owned the car so why would it only cause a problem now?

Wish me luck...
john318isau is offline   Reply With Quote