Thread: Black Coolant
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
adamud

To mohaughn and campaiar; there were was no oil pockets or separation of the coolant. It looked more as if it was just dirty.

To jimmyloose; the oil is still mobil 1 caramel brown.

When I stopped by BMW today I had the parts guy go and ask a technician or two about it. He asked the head tech and got the oil answer from him AND that it could be from old falling apart pipes. He also asked the mini head tech about the coolant dye decomposing and he had never heard of that. After I purchased a few things I asked my friend who works there as a service manager and he said it was probably a bad batch of coolant. He also said that if I had a bad head gasket, then oil could get in that way, but I replaced that three years ago (I'm sure its fine).

So I a couple answers. I'm going to change the coolant next week and see if the colour has changed at all. Plus I'll thoroughly inspect it for oil or anything of that matter.

Input is still welcome.

EDIT: I totally forgot to bring up something. Does the water pump happen to have any grease or anything in it. Because if it does, then that would explain why the coolant was black?!
adamud is offline   Reply With Quote