View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Trusted-1

Joe,

I think maybe I also used the 13 pound Fidanza flywheel. The box still hase the Dual Mass in it so I can check.

The pressure plate and disk on my install were standard Sachs parts for a 96 M3 but I don't recall if the disk was sprung or not (although I don't recall ever installing one without springs).

From what I have read about the M5 pressure plates, the additional weight adds to the flywheel mass so if you go for one of those they typically use a lighter (say 8 pound?) flywheel to compensate for the additional spinning mass.

In your installation, if you flipped the M5 sprung disk so the spring assembly is on the flywheel side to make it fit, then I can see how the clearance may be too tight on the flywheel bolts.

I have never seen a disk installed with the spring assembly towards the flywheel. I did not even think it would bolt up that way.

I used the existing bolts in my installation with new loctite and torqued to spec. I know I have seen to use new bolts but I asked a seasoned BMW mechanic who builds S14 race cars and he said it was not necessary.

I bought my Fidanza open box for $150 and there were no bolts with it. Did yours come with bolts?
Trusted-1 is offline   Reply With Quote