View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #11
Dlan

There is a small hole in the in the disk that is closest to the thermostat side but it is has some type of one-way valve. Vent to let trapped air out?

The new t-stat came today. A behr packaged in a box labeled Vernet. It seems I paid extra for the box, not happy about that.

I did test the new t-sat and found the best way was dip into boiling water. Then lift out and tip up the end that goes to the bottom hose. You should be able to see the water trapped flow past the disk. I had tested the other one the same way but at the time I wasn’t sure what I was looking for.

I’m not sure at what point it fully opens but it must be over 212f as it was hard to notice the outer disk moving. This is in line with Paul’s post stating the movement is pretty subtle.

For anyone looking to understand the operation of these t-stats I found this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HclvBmwWgQ

Not exactly the same as ours, although it does show why it will not cool the motor if stuck closed.

Satisfied that the t-stat was working I installed in the car.

Success !!! It stays between 204f and 206f while driving.

While it is great to have to car running it’s also upsetting to know much of this was caused by a new but defective part being shipped.
Dlan is offline   Reply With Quote