View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
bjt42

Default Car shows revs when engine isn't running! ASC problem?

Hi all,

I have a 2000 316i Compact (E36). Although it has the M43 motor rather than the M44 in the 318ti, everything else is pretty much the same.

I pulled the car out of the garage today to check it over before I set off. The car started up fine and was only running for a couple of minutes before I turned it off. When I came to start it again a few minutes later, I turned the key to position 2 and the following happened:

- The warning lights on the dash came on and then turned off (as normal)
- After a couple of seconds, the rev counter went from zero to around 6000 rpm and back
- The ASC light turned on, and stayed on
- The temperature gauge went to max, and slowly started moving to the left
- I could hear something under the hood turning on and off. It sounds like it could be some kind of pump. It was turning on and off seemingly randomly.

This all happened while the key was in position 2, the engine was not started. When I tried to start the engine it turned over as normal, but did not catch, like fuel or spark was not being provided. If I turn the car off and back to position two the same things happen, but the timing is different every time - sometimes a few seconds will go by before the pump noise starts and the rev counter starts to go crazy.

Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be? I am hoping that it will go away long enough for me to get it to my regular mechanic (30 miles away).

Thanks for any info,
Ben
bjt42 is offline   Reply With Quote