View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #755
Earl

Vehicles

Started on the output shaft seal last night.

I had to grind down a socket to fit but got the nut off with an impact fairly easy after that. The flange pulled right off without needing a puller.

I then used a slide hammer with a hook attachment at the end to pull the seal out.

I then lubricated the new seal and started it in the bore with my hands. I used a brass drift and drove it in about 3mm from flush (the thickness of two pennies)

At this point I put the flange back onto the output shaft and tightened the nut, seating the seal the rest of the way. The next step is to torque the output flange nut in two stages. First torque it to 140ft/lbs, then remove the nut, add loctite (Bentley specifies 242 but I will be using 271), and torque the nut to 89 ft/lbs. I could not find any way to hold the flange to 140ft/lbs at home. I grenaded a screwdriver in a failed attempt. I brought the trans into work today so that I can take a piece of angle iron and bolt it to the flange. This way I can clamp that in a vice and it should be easier. The only thing I am afraid of now is the ground down socket breaking. Hopefully it holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurohb View Post
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Last edited by Earl; 02-26-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote