View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Default Camshaft Degreeing for performance

So I've got all the tools to setup a camshaft degreeing kit for folks to degree their camshafts for performance. BMW sets their M44 camshafts with a locking tool that locks the back camshaft squares at top with the flywheel pinned, not an exact measurement.

It is also known that they took out some overlap in the camshaft timing to make for a smoother idle. This reduction in overlap of the camshaft timing reduces overall performance just to create a smoother idle.

In my opinion, Metric Mechanic’s and many top builders the best way to degree your camshaft is with a dial indicator and you measure valve lift off the valve seat when the piston is at TDC on the non compression stroke. This is very accurate and gets your degree 100% dead on. You have to have a special lifter installed which has been completely compressed and welded in the compressed position (supplied with kit). You do not use a degree wheel. I will supply detailed instructions and ask for members help writing the instruction before I start sending the kit out for people that are interested in gaining additional untapped HP from their motors.

Some issues I have are I only have performance lift off seat numbers for turbo motors currently so I’m asking if anyone has specs for performance valve lift off seat for stock camshafts. Even if you only know the performance spec using a degree wheel, I can use that to do a local car with the degree wheel then measure with the more accurate way using the dial indicator method.

The dial indicator method is very simple in my opinion and most DIY people should have no issue doing this project in 1-2 hours to gain some untapped power. You will most likely not even notice a change in idle quality but you will definitely notice a increase in power.

So anyone that can help with specs on Valve lift off seat during overlap or even camshaft degree for performance please get involved and help me help us all get this going.

Thanks, John S

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 03-18-2011 at 05:54 AM.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote