Thread: Turbo?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
projekt EPiK

looks to be a fairly complete kit of components, only real problem is that they are ebay components and ebay quality.

i've been building kits for years now and seen pretty shoddy performance from ebay kits in general. most dangerous to the engine is the wastegate (44mm is way overkill for your application BTW) the ebay wastegate valve tends to stick when it gets hot and wouldnt open till 14+psi when it was forced open by sheer boost pressure, regardless of what ever spring pressure you were shooting for.. usually 5-8 psi on most stock bottom end cars. the increased boost spike will cause all sorts of problem for you on a stock engine stock fueled car that is only tuned to 8 psi....

the turbos are hit and miss, while the sizing is okay, the chinese made components are scary. my advice, do it right.. buy a garrett turbo at least, and a tial 38mm genuine wastegate. it will cost maybe $700.00 new for both, or much less than that for a slightly used deal and you will save a LOT of headache.

when i just re-did the setup on my Lexus i picked up the turbo i always wanted on SupraForums for $500.00 shipped, and the 44mm Tial wastegate for $275.00 shipped.. saving almost $500.00 overall..now my parts are bigger for the Supra 2jzgte engine, but you get the point.

Turbos are fun.. when they are done right, but getting there reliably can piss you off..trust me.
projekt EPiK is offline   Reply With Quote