View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Firstcar

Default New guy, need opinions on 1995 318i w/170,000 miles

Hi guys, My friend of a few years recently offered to sell me his 1995 318i sedan w/170,000 miles for $1900 USD. I have driven it several times, once from oregon to seattle and back (I took my drivers test in it) and I love the way it drives! My friend keeps pretty fastidious care of the car, he even runs a tank of premium through every third tank to make sure the engine doesn't get too gunked up. It also has a mp3 player/stereo already installed which is pretty cool. I've seen the engine and even though I'm not a "car guy" I remember being impressed with how clean it was. The car's defects are as follows: a small tear in one of the seats, the AC doesn't work perfectly and my friend told me there is a small problem with some kind of fuel-oxygen sensor which apparently is the reason it is a little rough when it starts. His rich parents have been pressuring him to sell it so they can bump their old car (a newer BMW, lucky bastard!) down to him, but he doesn't want to sell it unless its to someone he trusts to take good care of it. I thought this was an awesome price, but after talking to a few people who know more about cars, they seemed concerned that with that kind of mileage on it the car would start to need a whole bunch of expensive maintenance that I, being on the grant-funded research undergrad budget would not be able to afford. I am really impressed by the performance and gas mileage the thing gets, not to mention it looks pretty fly, but if you guys could help me figure out if this will be as awesome as it seems or just a money sync I can't afford, I'd be super thankful. Hoping to join the family!
Firstcar is offline   Reply With Quote