View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #20
BMWannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleniek View Post
When considering having any car shipped, every lane and direction will have a different rate when dealing directly with the driver. When dealing through a brokerage, they'll pocket the difference between what you pay and what the driver gets. Rate has to do with the driver's motivations for going that particular direction. For example, if a guy with a trailer gets paid $3/mi to rush industrial parts from Houston to Miami, this rate is more than enough to cover fuel back without having to find another load out of Florida. Basically, anything he can put on his trailer for the return trip home is free money to him. This is whom you're looking for and you can find these guys on uShip. It's a reverse auction in that you post your load, then give it some time to let the drivers' bid down the job. Florida consumes more than it produces, so drivers are already accustomed to returning home empty... except during produce season which is only a couple months of the year. This time of year is the BEST time to save money on outbound FL freight and ESPECIALLY a week or so before Christmas. There's always a handful of guys waiting at a truckstop for a "backhaul" to take home for extra cash, but right before any holiday they'll leave empty if nothing comes up to make it home in time for the holiday. My family owns a trucking company here in Florida and I was once a broker for 8 years. My biggest margins were always before any major holiday. I'm just guessing, but you could probably get a ti from Florida @ 300-500max for 1000 miles in any direction on uShip next week. FL to TX and FL to NY are always "hot" lanes ie - lots of drivers to choose from for below-market rates. Hopes this helps and feel free to ask general transport advise anytime.

oh, forgot to mention that there's always a dead-period between christmas and new years when most truckers are home for the holidays. the guys who stay on the road at this time are hard to find and will charge more than double the rate. this happens all over the country, but things get back to normal about a week or two after new years.

so to recap, nationwide freight rates for "backhauls" will be lowest a week or two before xmas, highest between xmas and new years, then taper back to normalcy a week or two afterwards.

This is Great Info! ...I would not hesitate to transport a car again since i had a good experience the first time ..second go around i will use this method ....
BMWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote