View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

Well, a bulb does provide resistance, and when it blows, that resistance becomes infinite (open circuit), so I don't see that as causing the fuse to blow... Generally a fuse will blow because there is too little resistance (short to ground- higher amperage draw than the fuse's rating). In the referenced post at BfC, it was noted that one filament came loose and shorted across the other inside the bulb. Strange failure, but plausible.

Replacing the bulbs and fuses fixed it.

One other thing to keep in mind with these tail light related electrical problems:

Other E36 cars have had serious wiring problems with the trunk harness. The wire insulation rubs through and the wires short to one another, and in extreme cases, cause a fire in the trunk! I have not heard first-hand that this has happened with a ti yet, but the wiring is the same vintage and from the same vendor, so the potential is there.

So, if bulbs and fuses don't get you up and running again, you have to carefully check the wiring harness in the hatch and trunk area for wear/defects.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote