View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Shellback

Update:
I’m going really slow with this project. Good thing I haven’t tackled the ti yet! I’m actually learning about cars as I take the M3/4/5 apart and try to comprehend what different systems do; how they are attached to the car, etc. Also I’m learning about tools, fasteners, and all that good stuff.
So far, I’ve removed the complete front fascia off the M3. I’ve removed the engine w/ tranny in one piece. I used an engine hoist to remove the engine and attached the engine to an engine stand. I was a bit leery if the engine stand would hold the S52 but I was assured by the folks at fastenal that sold me the M12 bolts that it will hold. They were right - it worked like a champ.

While the engine is out and sitting on a stand, I’m planning on doing the following:
- Replace valve cover gasket
- Locktite the oil pump nut (replace oil pan w/ new gasket while I’m at it)
- Replace belts
- Replace studs that hold exhaust manifold. Some nuts backed out but whan I tried tightening, the entire stud rotates.
- Replace H2O pump & t-stat.
- Clean the engine with carb cleaner and try to make it pretty!
- I will not be doing any maintenance on the tranny since it recently had mounts, clutch, flywheel, TO bearing, etc replaced. I will need a tranny mount bar though to replace the one cracked from the accident.

I’ve gutted the M3/4/5 interior and plan on posting items for sale on this forum (since I believe some items are compatible with the compact) and also on our friendly sister-site, bf.c.

I’ve discovered a few items that need replacement prior to swapping the engine into the compact. Somehow the throttle body off the M3 fell on the floor when it sat on the fender, even though it still has the cable attached. I discovered one of the “hinges” or rotating plastic parts that move the cables broke. I will post a photo soon of what I mean. I hope it can be replaced.

Well, that’s it for now. This project will take a long time, not because I’m not interested, but I’m really learning a lot and my work schedule only allows me a few hours per weekend.

Last edited by Shellback; 01-18-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote