View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
CirrusSR22

I regret buying an auto big time, and I've been gathering info for a while regarding a swap. Just last week, I started buying some parts, so I have a head start on when this GM tranny bites the dust. I've created a 318ti specific spreadsheet (with my own notes) in an attempt to list EVERY part needed for the 318ti. The list looks huge, but many are small bits and pieces that are included in larger assemblies. Shift Linkage and Pedal Sets have many small parts for example.

Save file as... (I hope this works) Converted from an Appleworks file for you PC folks.
http://www.geocities.com/threeiswee/5SpeedSwapexcel.xls

In the right hand column I've been typing in notes as I acquire parts.

I orginally searched for a pedal set from a 5/97 or newer car because they have a much cheaper clutch master cylinder. This would help when I need a new one. But, I found a full pedal set from a 3/97 318is complete with clutch master cylinder and hard fluid line for $42. For that $42 I also got the shift linkage, although some of the parts were not salvageable. Most were plastic stuff that should be renewed anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcarync
1) Someone on the bf.c manual swap thread said getting a new differential wasn't necessary and he kept his stock one. So I was just curious if it is imperative to get a new differential or what would happen if I kept the stock one.
I think you really would need the correct gearing (3.45) to have a daily driver car. 80mph would probably be 5,000 RPMS or something crazy. Also, the 1-2 shift would proably be so quick that it would be a big PIA. You certainly could try it though.

Quote:
2) Also, someone in the thread said he just got his drive shaft lengthened at a shop for under 200 dollars and he didn't need to get a new one. Any opinons?
I've seen on www.car-part.com used 318ti (manual) driveshafts for under $100. I'd just make sure the u-joint are still solid though. The center bearing is replaceable, so iwouldn't worry about it having a bad one. I'm even considering putting a new one in, as long as the "new" driveshaft is already out. PelicanParts to the rescue: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ft_Bearing.htm

Quote:
3) I have read on here and bf.c about the CEL staying on because the ECU is different for manual and automatic. Is there anyway to 'easily' fix this or is it easier to just leave it on. I have a scanner tool so I can eaisly scan to see if anything else is wrong, so I am not too worried.
My plan is just to leave it alone. Some one on the bf.c thread laid out the full process for the ECU conversion/reprogram, but sounds like a BIG pain.

Quote:
4) What parts will fit the ti? Will any e36 manual transmission car have parts that will fit? I have a 95 with the m42 engine, so will that cause any fitment issues, or will the transmission and parts be the same for OBD II cars as well?
From what I understand, any getrag 5 speed from the E36 or E46 will fit. I plan on buying a Getrag from the newest E46 325i that I can find. Keep in mind, the Getrags from 4/98 or so where fixed internally from some manufacturing issue. I believe it was popping out of gear?? The ZF trannies are supposed to work too, but I guess you'd need a custom driveshaft. I dont think the normal gearshift linkage and carrier would fit either, so you'd have to find one from another car. (maybe a 328 or M3 one would fit?) I'm gonna stick with a Getrag to avoid all the hassle.

Quote:
5) Any help with rewiring reverse lights. I think I read on here that they need to be rewired to work properly.
The wiring seems very straightforward to me. So I would not worry too much. I used my Bentley manaul to find the correct wires. For the PRND switch bypass, I believe you just ground the Green/Grey (#5) wire to the Brown/Black (#7) wire.

For the reverse lights, I think you tap the 2-wire manual tranny reverse switch into the Green/White (#2) wire and Blue/Yellow (#3) wire.

All of the above wires are located in the A/T range switch just below the gear selector. You can see it if you pop off the gear selector cover.

Quote:
6) Where to start. I am not looking for step by step instructions or anything, but just what order should the parts be swapped out? I have a Bentley manual that will be lots of help in removing the parts. Are there any other parts that need to be removed to gain access to transmission parts and such. I'm just trying to figure out what all this job will require. I have read it will take anywhere from 10-60 hours, which is obviously a large range of time. I will have a better chance of swapping transmissions if I can do it myself with my pops, because I know we don't really want to pay a ton of money to a shop, $70/hour for up to 60 hours. This will be our largest automotive project ever attempted (if we actually get to try this), but I'm confident if I do enough research and get very well prepared we can get it done if we set aside a long weekend or so.
The Bentley has some good stuff when it comes to transmission service (seals/fluid) and clutch replacement. Although, PelicanParts.com has some great article with LOT of beautiful pics that show much of what you'll be working with.

Clutch Installation and transmission seal replacement:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ch_Replace.htm

Bleeding your newly installed clutch hydraulics:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...utch_Slave.htm

Installing and rebuilding you newly aquired shift linkage:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...t_Bushings.htm

Installing that brand new guibo:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../E36-Guibo.htm[/B]

I hope some of that helps. I'll try to post some more of the stuff I found over the past months. Maybe we can create a an "offical" 318ti swap thread over here too like the bf.c one. When I eventually do the swap I'd like to take a massive amount of pictures and post them. There seems to be a lack of photos over on the bf.c post.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote