Thread: power source
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
robcarync

Default power source

yo guys whats up...as some of you may know, i have done the 'relocated lighter mod' made famous by, i think, l84thsky.

i got a cool little compartment where the ash tray used to be, and all rigged up with my iPod cradle and everything. only problem is that compartment is really dark at night and its hard to see and grab things in it without fumbling around.

so i will get to the point. i decided to do a super great pimp my ride project and i have a few blue LEDs (well actually one of those LED tubes with a few LEDs in it) and i was going to mount it on the front of the compartment so it can glow blue.

it looks pretty cool and is major balla status indeed, however, i have not hard wired it yet, as it came with a cigarette adapter, which is lame. im going to clip that off and wire to a power source. i was thinking the cig lighter power wire, problem being that it is a constant power source even when the car is off. so i was thinking just mount a switch in one of the blanks and i can flip it on and off whenever.

then i got to thinking...i only need it at night...so i want to wire it so the light only comes on when the head lights turn on. i could route the wire from the console all the way under the steering wheel to the actual switch, but that is out of the way...and i got to thinking...other than the headlights, lot of things light up in the center console when headlights are on (all the LEDs on switches, auto gear selector thingy, HVAC controls etc) so is it possible to wire it to one of the wires in the console area to make it turn on with the rest of the switch LEDs/headlights and stuff, and would that mean the dimmer would also dim the blue LEDs im putting in (not that i care, thatd be kinda cool)

so im assuming its possible...now im just wondering...any idea as to which wire to tap to (power wise...i can ground just about anywhere)

im about to check out mr. bentley in a while...but thought id ask here as i could probably get a definite answer...
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote