View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Thanks john! I think I may have used your very data to connect an arduino to the cluster! I looked in a lot of different boards for that info.
Yeah, well, some are not very good about keeping old posts. One, which I have pretty much given up on, I can only view the last 250 of my almost 3000 posts. You might say they are losers. Literally.

Quote:
My biggest question was - how is the data stored on the coding plug, and whether it keeps the number of cylinders in the car. So that if I could just take the coding plug from my car and align the miles to an m3 cluster, whether that would work ok with it,or not....
What is stored is the central coding key (ZCS), a long string of bits with the specifics of the car. I have not read of anyone who has decoded it. The mileage is kept elsewhere in the EEPROM and is straightforward to change if you know the address.

If you have the patience, you might consider feeding a high vehicle speed signal into a cluster and clocking up the miles. At 155 mph, you would only need about 6 and 22 days to advance your two M3 clusters. I bet you can clock them even faster: for a few days, I had a bad speed sensor I could excite to wrap the needle on my cluster so that it was pointing straight down. I did not realize it could go that far.

Last edited by John Firestone; 09-29-2015 at 10:24 AM.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote