View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
chrisbec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinlaporte View Post
I'm taking the head into the shop today. It should come back ready to bolt on, right? I'm more of an r and r type guy--off with the bad, on with the good. Rebuilding the head is way over my head and my tools. I think.

On the head gasket. . . I've got two senior members here so far that disagree about the brand of head gasket. What to do, what to do. . .I know I'll have to wait and if the head gets shaved, then I'll need a thicker gasket--what about Cometic? Anybody ever put one of those in their M44 engine?
There is an allowance for re-surfacing the head depending on manufacturing tolerances. It depends on how warped the head was and how much they had to machine off to make it flat. You may not need to go with a thicker head gasket, it just depends.
If they had to machine off a lot of material then it is possible that the valves may interfere with the pistons. Also the camshaft timing is affected since the distance from the camshaft to crank shaft sprockets changes (shortens). This may further cause interference problems between the valves and the pistons during engine operation since the timing will be lagging by some amount based on how much material was removed.
So, talk to the the machine shop and see what they have to say.

I have used many Victor Reintz gaskets with no problem.

At least spend $70 and buy a Craftsman torque wrench, don't use crap torque wrenches for critical engine hardware.

R.I.P schwartz 1990 325is
chrisbec is offline   Reply With Quote