View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 AM   #15
jwinlaporte

Update:
(and a few questions, too)
Thanks for the welcome. Encouragement is nice too, I'm about 3K in now, more to go, and I drove it about 10 miles before it broke down, but I became attached.
With the car's age, the headgasket job has turned into a control arms, struts, belts, pulleys, coolant pump, triple oil change job. whew.

The machine shop called; the head will require the thicker head gasket...question 1
What's the best +.3 gasket to get? I'm not a racer but in Northwest Indiana, should I consider an MLS type gasket? Let me know what you think.
(A note on parts here--can anyone find a gasket set that includes the oversize gasket? I'm looking at having to buy two head gaskets, or purchase each new seal and gasket separately.)

The machine shop guy is ready to put it back together but he recommends new valve springs due to overheating--says springs don't like to get hot--seems logical and reasonable to me.

2nd big question. . .ah. nevermind--I paid 9.50 each for a set.
What exactly are the OEM dimensions of the valve springs? I do not wish to pay 10 bucks a piece for them. I have seals on the way and a whole bunch of other stuff too. I'll have the struts changed out after I collect all the parts, reinstall them, change the control arms and bushings, coolant pump, reinstall the head and button it all up in 3 weeks, I hope. . . Oh yeah...the windows are screwed up too. The driver's door has no plastic and the door panel was actually screwed on with self tapping sheet metal screws! Last question... where can I find a set of plastic door panel anchors? There are only two left--not enough to hold the panel to the door.

So,
1. What's the best headgasket? Leaning toward BMW--just give it what it wants, I suppose.
2. OEM valve spring dimensions? Nevermind, I just bought the darn things.
3. Door panel holder thingies? Still could use some help with this one. . .

Thanks.

Last edited by jwinlaporte; 09-17-2010 at 05:52 PM.
jwinlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote