View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
jwinlaporte

Default Which wire is which?

[QUOTE=cooljess76;286166] I shorted out the orange(dimmer) wire. This blew the rheostat inside the headlight switch which killed all of my interior lighting that was connected to the dimmer circuit(gauges, HVAC panel, window/sunroof switches, cig lighter etc).

I looked at the bmw radio wiring harness, but the closest thing to orange I saw was more butterscothy orangey light brown, so I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right wire. My wife believes most men are color blind, so who knows. How does one solder a rheostat? I have previously taken apart the headlight switch, but I saw no obvious damage to rheostat area.

My tail lights are all working, the other issue is that the brake lights are not. (probably switch on pedal, but I'm not sure about that either)

My next step is to purchase an electrical tester and learn how to use it.
Electrical issues are not what I'm good at. The diagrams in the Haynes manual are not means comprehensive. Didn't I see some diagrams here somewhere?

Last edited by jwinlaporte; 11-22-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: The English teacher tries to be clear.
jwinlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote