View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkk View Post
Any year recommendation?
You'll get mixed opinions on this question. Some people like the '95's because they have M42 1.8L OBDI engines which supposeably have "forged internals"(I think that's BS, doesn't really make a difference at this point since nobody here has ever had problems with pistons, rods etc) and slighly less emissions related equipment. Personally I think the M44 1.9L OBDII engines are a little more refined and run somewhat smoother, at least mine did. I've heard others say exactly the opposite though, so take it for what it is. If I had to choose, I'd take a higher mileage engine that has a good maintenance history over a lower mileage engine that was poorly maintained. That being said, find the nicest one you can and give it a thorough inspection prior to purchasing it. The weakest link on these motors are the cooling systems which have brittle plastic components that break after 100k miles and can easily lead to head gasket failure. So plan on replacing the entire cooling system(less than 500 bucks) within the first few months of ownership.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote