View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

People often forget that these cars are over 10 years old. You can't possibly expect a car with over 100k miles to be in mint condition. Especially if you only paid 2300 bucks for it. I've been burned on purchases before, but it's usually when I buy stuff online and can't inspect it first. I'm sure the seller let you inspect and drive it prior to purchasing. I mean, so now that you're realizing what it takes to fix/maintain a 13+ year old car, do you feel like you should have paid less for it? Would it be fair if the car only cost 1300? Or would you still complain that it's a POS because the window falls off track and the headliner sags? Here's a scenerio for you, when was the last time you seen a Hyundai Excel on the road? You won't because they're extinct. The transmissions were garbage and they all eventually ended up in the junkyard. Now I suppose if there was a true enthusiast, he/she could spend the money to restore and maintain one, but you have to expect things to wear out and break over time. You can't buy a car with 200k miles on it and then when the transmission blows up, blame the previous owner for not maintaining it. How long would you expect a transmission to last? It certainly won't last forever. Do you really think the previous owner tried to hide things from you? What can a seller do to mask a slipping transmission for a couple days until the car is sold? I deal with people like this all of the time. They think that for every stain, ding or imperfection that they find, I should knock $$$ off of my asking price. Well it doesn't work that way. If the thing was mint, my price would be higher. It doesn't start at the asking price and then go down for every thing you find wrong with it. The fact is, you bought a 13+ year old car knowing full and well that it had a salvaged title due to an accident. You were given the opportunity to inspect it, heck you could've drove it up on a curb and looked underneath it. If the deal didn't suit your expectations, why did you hand over your cash? What did you expect for $2300?

FWIW, I don't know the seller. I'm just trying to make a few points since I've dealt with buyers like you who like to blame the previous owner for their problems and not giving them a free car. I got a good deal on my car, heck I flew to Michigan, inspected it, paid cash and drove it back to Cali. It wasn't perfect, but I don't hold anything against the seller. It's a used car with the typical 10 years worth of wear and tear that goes along with it. If you want to bitch about things breaking, buy a NEW car. That's why new cars come with warranties.

Last edited by cooljess76; 12-30-2009 at 05:38 PM.