Thread: Touring Shocks
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
Phil Marx

I have a '98 Active Package (15" 5-spoke wheels and 205/60 tires) and it came to me a couple of months ago with the Bilstein Touring setup on it and installed only recently. I'm not a real fan. My impression, not having had the ability to compare it to the worn-out original stuff, is that it is too stiff over bumps and yet not stiff or sophisticated enough to handle well on our back country Virginia byways. To put that in the proper context, I have had many 2002s with Bilstein sports, an E12 528i w/sports and Eibach sport springs, and currently have an E28 535is with the stock M-tech Bilsteins. The old E28 will outhandle the ti on twisties even with shocks that have 200k on them. The Tourings seem to be just like any other shock during cornering in that they offer nothing in the way of stiffening the suspension. the high-pressure normal Bilstiens add to the roll stiffness and yet don't deteriorate the ride that badly depending on spring choice. I'd say the Tourings ride over rough pavement like a too-stiff sport suspension but offer far less control on the suspensino on curves than even the HD high-pressure gas normal Bilsteins. I can't imagine any of that would improve with lower springs. I'd go with the "real" Bilsteins if it were my money. You're welcome to try my ti but I'm in Virginia.

-Phil
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote