View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 06:10 AM   #1
Bryce Ludwig

Default Rarity of California Roof?

I have liked the 318ti on and off since it came out. I am possibly going to be buying a car in a year, and would like something RWD, practical, and that is somewhat sporting. Theoretically, a Miata would fit this definition (practical in many ways, but not in terms of interior space), as would a regular e36 3 series (spacious). I am very much a hatchback man, however, I am also a convertible man too. So how rare is a California roofed, 5 speed car? Especially if I wish to exclude red absolutely, and preferrably black as well? Did the Cali roof come only with leather, or was it available with cloth too (if so, how does the cloth hold up)?

If I were to buy a ti, it would end up being my daily driver. So reliability and servicibility are important. A friend of mine has a '94 325i sedan, and he does fluid changes, and has done brakes and common things like that. How hard is the 318ti to work on? I'm a competent DIY mechanic, and I've worked on my own vehicles plenty. That said, I don't want to end up with something like my Lancia Zagato that is the one of the hardest vehicles to work on (space and access issues) that I've ever encountered. What are parts prices for some routine consumable items (brake rotors, pads, air & oil filters, belts, etc)? What are the problem areas of this particular car? Which are easy fixes, and which are deal breakers? Also, feel free to add any other information I would need.

thanks,
Bryce
Bryce Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote