View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i'm not sure how many california packages were sold, but i know we have a fair number of people with them on these boards (including me). hopefully you live in a state where you could use it more often than i'm able to. i would have to dredge up my original window sticker to find out if leather was part of the cali package or a separate item.

the 318ti should be very similar to your friend's 325 in term of serviceability. some things are going to be a pain to access, some things will be very easy to access. your routine maintenance items are generally very easy. for the most part, they are a pleasure to work on.

common failures: read around on the boards, taking a look into each of the maintenance areas (misc, engine, suspension, etc) to get an idea of what people are having to replace. couple things off the top of my head would be window regulators (and the little plastic clips that hold the window), ball joints, and rear upper shock mounts. people also complain to some degree about bmw rubber seals (doors, hood, sunroof, trunk). keep up with maintaining those so they don't deteriorate.

i've owned mine since about ... 300 miles (purchased 10/12/96). it now has 207k. i had some issues under warranty (shifting issue going into second gear, cam position sensor, cd changer problems [i hate alpine, imho that changer is a PoS!], cali top leak), but other than that, i've had few problems. other things that i remember over the car's 9 year life ... door lock actuator, ball joints (replaced with solid metal ones), window regulator (failed after i hit a deer on that side of the car which dented somewhat the driver's side door along with shearing the mirror off), passenger side halfshaft popped out of the diff (mechanic said he has NEVER seen this on the e36's while it's fairly common on ... 2002's or some other model, i forget), and now i have a fuel smell and a water leak (possibly in the cali top) that i'm tracking down. that said, i will admit i have NOT been doing routine maintenance like i should have been. do your routine maintenance and your 318ti will be your loyal friend. i didn't and mine still was anyway. i've never been stranded anywhere due to a failure.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote