View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #21
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Damn. Those springs are completely compressed! Only the small coils doing anything now.

Do they bang on bumps being that tight?
Ya, I was surprised by that too, if you look at my old build thread I compared some of the springs and even the 4cyl z3 springs did that. Currently I am running the z3m H&R sport springs and they also do the same tthing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEK View Post
It's by design per HR. The Z3 forums have a few threads with people shocked, thinking they are broke etc. supposedly it's so the spring don't fall out. Either way I'd like to be higher in rear. Going to try Bav Auto springs next. Maybe go factory sport 6cyl Z3? They're easy enough to swap might as well mess around. With a medium diff and 4cyl stock haldshaft I don't wanna go to low though. Looking for e30 325i ones currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't do the Bav Auto springs! They are also very soft! Again check out my old build thread I have a few spring comparisons and I also used the Bav Auto springs. I have also been in a dilemma since I am using the full H&R z3m sport spring setup and I ran into the same thing as you. I actually really like how it sits, looks wise, but I need some more toe in, and stiffer springs and then adjust my Koni shocks to match.

The only spring that comes to mind that I might be willing to try is the IE "stage 3" rear springs, see if they sell those separately. I think in three weekends time I will have time to drive down and compare height with the OEM Z3M spring I have, if it looks okay height wise and IE is willing to sell me only the rear springs I might give it a shot. Best of course is to save up for a real coilover set.... or the Groundcontrol coilover conversion.

BTW how come you don't use the e30 halfshafts? I didn't even know stock ti halfshafts worked with the med size e30 diff.... and that 4.1 seems too much for me!! I even mentally complain about my 3.46 sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
The big 'nipple' keeps the springs in... Unless you're doing Dukes of Hazard maneuvers I think they'll stay in.

I'm running stock M Roadster in the rear of mine. I'm happy with ride, height and they haven't fallen out either! I did go with the heavier M Coupe rear sway due to the heavier body on the ti compared to the roadster.
Along with my H&R z3m sport springs I also run the z3m front sway bar with adjustable end links and z3m rear sway bar, seems like the springs are too soft! But as you mentioned the oem z3m coupe (s54) springs I have for the rear definitely seem more firm then the H&R springs, my only complaint is purely based on ride height and the fender gap.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote