View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
dahamler

I think the more forgiving refers to the snap oversteer that owners of the E30 type rear suspension can deliver. I really wish some of you could drive my racecar to really know what this means. During my first track event as a novice I drove my 332ti with instructors who drove Spec Miatas and one that owned at 911 RS America. After my first session the spec Miata instructor was very impressed with my driving but wanted to show me some different lines around the track so we switched positions. Well after a few laps he was instructing less and less and started to race a few of the solo guys doing some shakedowns in our run group. We were giving a point by from every solo driver except the HMS Z3 racecar and a 500hp STI with 275 slicks all round. During this frightening session my instructor spun the car and was black flagged, he suggested that I take a different instructor for my second session who was more familiar with "this type of handling characteristic". Long story short even the 911 driver said that the rear of my car was its weak point, he was frustrated during corner exits but loved the car overall.

The 318ti was not built to appeal to enthusiasts, the brakes, engine and steering were lacking and the tire sizes left much to be desired. The 318ti was BMWs attempt in capturing market share in a particular segment, plan and simple.

Last edited by dahamler; 01-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.
dahamler is offline   Reply With Quote