View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #19
Steve K-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
I've been looking for information on what specs where ran for the compact rally cars in Europe. Mostly brake and suspension information, and I suppose differential. Was it a spec class or pretty open? What suspension setting are typically being used. Any links to information would be great. so the stock rear suspension filled the overfenders or did you have to swap something or make changes. Figuring you increased with the width in the front, i assume something had to be done in the rear.
To be honest Im not too sure what specs the Europeans ran. I just saw the car and whet with my own build. Suspension was sorted with the help at a local shop and I ended going with adjustable koni shocks, rebound and bump front and rear. Have just changed my rear springs from 200lb to 250lb as I've added more weight in the rear due to a heavier diff (210mm 4.44). Was also bottoming out so thought heavier springs may help. Would have to double check on front spring rates.

Ive run this car with the idea of not sticking to any particular class. Because of the S54 transplant I'm now in a class with the fast modern 2WD cars where I'm competing against 250,000 USD cars but I'm ok with that. The aim is to beat as many of them as I can but I suppose the real goal is to get a podium in the Targa NZ. That would be awesome.

Not sure what they use for the brakes but I couldn't be happier with my set up. They work great, never had brake fade and there adjustable so I have the ability to change compounds during events and change bias on the go.

Your correct in regards to the rear track having to be wider. Ive had to run 20mm spacers on the rear to push the wheels out. Also run ET15 wheels front (not sure whats standard?) and back so they match with my old mans E30 M3. Wheels are interchangable.

If your interested in a bomb proof rear drive line setup for an E30 or compact give me a PM. It uses the standard arms, Porsche 108 cvs for ease availability, custom axles, a larger wheel bearing, double shear shock mount and on a compact it uses custom hardened hubs. I used this because everything's easy to acquire. Z3 arms are like finding a needle in a haystack and there extremely expensive here in New Zealand. I haven't found or seen anyone online who's been able to make upgraded components to fit into standard rear arms. Kayne Barrie was the man who came up with the idea. He's very good at what he does. Car was unfinished in this photo but you get the idea.

Last edited by Steve K-B; 10-26-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Steve K-B is offline   Reply With Quote