View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
2MCHPWR

Default new owner - 318ti w/Sport Package - general questions

sup guys.
i bought this off fellow forum member.

http://www.ponycars.net/318ti.html

I have a few noob questions which i'll bold.

So the window sticker says sport package. quick google search says no LSD was available in 1996 but seller said it does have LSD. How do I confirm other than dropping the clutch at 6k RPM and laying down stripes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_Compact

"The sport package equipped the car with M-technic suspension, foglights, alloy wheels, sport seats, and for 1995 only, a limited slip differential."

So where are the spring rates listed that compare stock rates to what is in the "Sport Package"? Are the shocks better in the sports package? Are the sway bars bigger? Whats the deal the traction control in terms of any real gain? I'm sure it can't be too sophisticated since its from the mid-90's.

The center pieces of the wheel are missing on the drivers side (see pics) but are there on passenger side. Any good place to buy replacements? Also I really want to pull the wheels off the confirm they are OEM since OEM comes in staggered sizes but these seem to be the same and wear 225's all around. I'm guessing they are the 7.5 width wheels. Would 8.5 width wheels even fit on the 318ti? And the associated 245 tires? That would be a good footprint for such a small car.

Only drove around town so far but its super tight. Gonna start commuting with it next week 160 miles round trip Straight highway 75 mph..think it'll return 33 mpg? is it required to use super 93 unleaded or can i use 87 regular?

What is a good aggressive alignment for the street without killing the tires? how much negative camber can you squeeze out of these with stock suspension?

The shifter is smooth and light but gates seems vague. Is there a good replacement short shifter? easy to install?

The airbag light is on but reading in this forum says I need to reset it with some tool, probably at a dealer. I don't plan to go to a dealer but will ask around town if a body shop has one. Hope the light is just from when he put vader seats in. Any tips here?

Thanks so much.

Last edited by 2MCHPWR; 07-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.
2MCHPWR is offline   Reply With Quote