View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
vsonix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytruckster View Post
If you take an auto for a test drive, make sure you pay attention to the 2-3 shift. Find a place where you can go 50 or so and get it up to speed, floor it and see if it takes a long time to fully engage 3rd. If it's bad, it'll hold the rpm for awhile while it slowly accelerates, then it will finally engage. Though, mine was doing it at 108K, and it's got 170K on it now and it hasn't gotten worse. It's a 50 dollar shift solenoid, but the clutches could be toast from the slippage.

Oh, and Vsonix....The auto is still fun. No matter what you and James May say about it.
lol does James May even have an opinion on that? He always struck me as the kind of person who is happy to waft along in full auto mode.
Our outgoing 320i and new 330d both have the steptronic auto box, it is still fun, for sure, but nothing beats the satisfaction (imo) of getting to the stage where all your shifts are perfect when having a blast round some back roads. Day to day driving auto is fine, though, if not slightly preferable sometimes
vsonix is offline   Reply With Quote