View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
zoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E24bmw635csi View Post
One of my discoveries was that the cruise control lever is not properly mounted in the steering column, but since I live in an area with twists and turns, hills and varying speed limits, this is no big bother for me. It appears the lower plastic casing of the steering column is missing a screw, and the lever hangs at an odd angle compared to my previous E36, resting on the plastic housing rather than holding itself up. Possible questions: Is this common? Does it just need to be refitted inside the housing or must the lever mechanism itself be broken?

It looks like it might be broken, but it's really easy to take the steering column shroud off (especially if it's missing a screw!) and inspect what is going on- it definitely shouldn't be hanging like that.

Quote:
Realoem tells me there were two possible colors, schwartz und sandgrau (51478146955). Possible questions: Is this what a new sandgrau panel looks like? Or would it better match the interior gray?

No, that's not what a new sandgrau panel looks like- for some reason, the plastic that BMW used in this trim piece is prone to discoloration like that shown in the picture. Both sandgrau interior ti's that I've owned have suffered from this problem to varying degrees, but yours looks especially bad. A new sandgrau trim piece will closely match the color of the front kick panel. The good thing is that this part is still available from getbmwparts.com for under $12!

Quote:
Were these little cars fitted with grandmother's shocks in the base model, or am I in need of new ones?

The M Sport option was the only model that got you a stiffer sport suspension, all other models were fitted with more of a touring shock, but if it is rebounding like you mention, I'm sure it's time- especially being OEM units.

Let me know if you need any other interior pieces, as I have a practically complete Sandgrau interior that I was planning to install in a previous ti that I owned, which was subsequently totaled. I also have a spare cruise control lever, if you end up needing one and are interested in it.

Welcome to the .org!

1995 318ti Base - Cosmosschwarz/Sandgrau R.I.P.
1997 318ti Active - Alpinweiß III/Sandgrau
2013 328i Coupe - Le Mans Blau
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote