View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
Trusted-1

So...

In addition to the known issues from the broken coolant line I am running into a good many maintenance issues as I proceed. Most would have needed to be done even if the car had stayed with an M44 but it is adding work to the project and time line.

When I ran the battery cable I noticed that the passenger door panels lost all of their mounts so an evening was spent with a grinder and urethane adhesive to glue all the mounts back on. The driver's side work will be deferred for now.

The shock towers both had cracks under the strut tower brace brackets so the cracks were welded up and I added M3 reinforcement plates under the towers.
While the welder was on site we welded the cracks on the rear hatch around the latch and added the ASC bracket to the driver side strut tower.

The entire front underpan needed "rehabilitation". I am not sure how the AC condenser got bent back 1/2" on the driver's side and all of the plastic parts disappeared but maybe a "road hazard" or attempting to traverse monster speed bumps took their toll.

Fortunately a 40% off sale at pick your part cut the $300 parts list down to $100 including a fan/clutch, shroud and auxiliary fan assembly. Since the 323is donor car was in a front end collision I was missing all of these parts.

The 13 pound Fidanza flywheel and solid disc had worn down the input shaft splines on the Getrag 250 so I had to "fix" the 5th & reverse shift lever springs on the 323is transmission to make it usable.

The clutch disc was done. Add $350 for rebuilding the pressure plate, surfacing the flywheel and building a custom disc with spring loaded center.

Engine is in the chassis but now I need to figure out the difference in the front sway bars. The S52 oil pan is resting on the 318 sway bar up front?

Has anyone seen a complete list of the donor car parts needed? A 323/325/328 sway bar was not on my radar.

98 318ti MSport M52, 88 M3, 97 M3/4
Trusted-1 is offline   Reply With Quote