View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
ajs_in_Mn

Let me start by saying that I surely do appreciate your interest. I'm not insensitive to your problem, trying to find a set of these wheels locally and having no success. Here's some of why I'm reluctant to ship these wheels-

1.) I want a buyer to be fully satisfied that these will fit his or her car. Though this doesn't seem like it's a big factor, here, since it sounds like you are looking to replace existing wheels that you already know will physically fit your car.
2.) I want a buyer to be fully satisfied that the condition of the wheels matches their expectations. They have been checked by one of the best local independent BMW shops here, and found to be true, but why take my word for it? Also, I have tried to accurately depict their condition, but if you can't examine and touch them for yourself before they appear on your doorstep, it's nothing but words. There's a bit of curb rash here and there, and a few small dings in the clearcoat. Ditto the tires. Are they holding air, and is there some tread? Yep. Would I take them on a long trip, or to a day at the track? Not so much. Again, in your case, tire condition may be a moot point, but neither of us wants a disappointed buyer, neither of us wants to end up on the other side of a shouting match here on the forum.
3.) I'm trying to avoid any payment hassles, since I don't have a convenient method of transferring money to me, and a buyer generally ain't gonna want to just send a perfect stranger a check for $900 (plus shipping) and then hope that he's on the up and up.
4.) I have no idea what it's going to cost to ship these somewhere, but I'll bet that it won't be like going down the post office with the water bill. This could add a respectable amount to the price, upping the buyer's expectations. I also want to avoid the possibility of damage in shipping.

What this all comes down to is that, if the buyer can't look and touch before buying, they have a much larger chance of being disappointed, neither of us want that, and keeping it local is the best way I know to avoid that. Not trying to be a PINTA, here, just trying to maximize the odds for everyone to be happy.

All that said (whew! ), if you have suggestions about ways to overcome these obstacles, I'm happy to hear them. Currently, I'm about to be hip deep in work for the next few days, and I do have a local guy who wants to see these on Monday or so, when both our schedules quiet down. He contacted me a couple days ago, and we've been juggling schedules, so he's in line ahead of you.

does this help at all? Do you have any thoughts about how to solve these issues to out mutual benefit?
ajs_in_Mn is offline   Reply With Quote