View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #14
jwinlaporte

Default Teacher who likes (needs) to learn.

Okay, I'm glad I have your attention for a minute. As I was waiting to put the engine back together, I replaced the following front suspension:
All OEM-or equal,
struts
lower control arms
control arm bushings
stabilizer links and brackets
reinstalled front brakes--missing parts (still squeaky-what's the best way to quiet that?)

After putting it together, a couple of oil changes, I am almost happy with its power, turning ability, but going straight down a county road is difficult--on snow, impossible. Since it's up and running, I have replaced the 17" wheels (same tires) with new ones (yesterday) and had a front wheel alignment (he said "toe was set to specs and camber was wrong front and rear but he had no specs or ability to adjust).

What I see looking at the rear end:
Rear subframe bushings are shot, they look separated. I think I'm hearing that replacing those is the solution to the wagon train feel. On the other hand, I think you're saying that too much neg camber causes symptoms mentioned. . .

Control arm bushings seem tight but cracked. Here's a giant question then:

Since I have some work to do, how can I decrease the rear camber / \ to within specs.
With OEM ride height
17 inch wheels--17x8, offsite 40mm
225 45 17 tires?
I can do just about anything, but I don't know whatto do.

I don't want to race, just have it safe on county roads.

Update: I just measured the camber using a square as shown on one of these threads. On the right side, there is 1/4 inch difference which doesn't seem too bad. But on the driver's side, there is 3/4 inch difference meaning way too much negative camber on that side. Yep it looks funny it's so far off. So maybe I need a new (junkyard) trailing arm. Aren't those $1000 almost at Pelican? Out of the question.

There's no getting used to it, for it is totally unpredictable. I believe the issue is narrowed down to the left rear. One final note: after jacking the left rear wheel up and letting it back down, the camber measurement is completely different. So something is bent/loose/just plain not right, but what?

Last edited by jwinlaporte; 12-03-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: some numbers to add and one more thing. . .
jwinlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote