View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
paul somlo

Having just replaced the oil pan gasket on my '96 318ti, I'd like to offer a slightly different take.

Rather than lower the subframe, etc., I raised the engine slightly, here's how:
  1. Disconnect the intake boot from the air filter box.
  2. Disconnect the oil dipstick tube from where it attaches to the intake manifold and pull on the tube to disengage the o-ring from the pan.
  3. Loosen the nut that secures each transmission mount.
  4. Remove the nut that secures each motor mount.
  5. Using a hydraulic jack with a 2x4 between the jack pad and the oil pan, raise the engine just enough to get a 3/4" block of wood between the left (driver's) motor mount and where the mount sits on the subframe.
  6. Disconnect the bracket which secures the fuel lines to the oil pan.
  7. Remove all the fasteners holding the pan and allow the pan to rest on the subframe.
  8. Remove the dipstick tube.
  9. Using the jack and a long block of wood, raise the motor at the right support arm. I did this by positioning the block of wood where the support arm meets the engine block. Raise the motor just enough to remove the pan.

I didn't loosen the fasteners which secure the exhaust bracket to the transmission, on the assumption that the exhaust/transmission/engine move as one, with the exhaust free to move on hangers at the rear (but it couldn't hurt to do so). Also, when reinstalling the pan, prior to fastening it, insert the dipstick tube from above. If you reinstall the pan before seating the dipstick tube, you'll need to remove the DISA valve to maneuver the tube into place.

I also think that it's possible to change the gasket merely by dropping the pan - there may be just enough clearance to remove the old gasket and place the new one. With 3/4" blocks interposed between the motor mounts and the subframe, I felt that there was certainly enough clearance to remove the old gasket and replace it with the new one, just by working it around the perimeter of the pan.

Paul
'96ti 204,000mi

Last edited by paul somlo; 08-02-2013 at 07:45 AM.
paul somlo is offline   Reply With Quote